The Georgian style is extremely variable, but most well known for its symmetry and proportion based on the classical architecture of Greece and Rome, as revived in Renaissance architecture. Building ornament is also normally in the classical tradition, but often quite restrained, and sometimes almost completely missing on the exterior of the building. The Georgian period brought the style of classical architecture to smaller and more modest buildings than had been the case before, replacing the standard English architecture for almost all new middle class homes and public buildings by the end of the period. The desire to have Georgian styling and Georgian roof tiles has grown over recent years, as home buyers and builders have recognised how sought after this periods style has become.
Gerorgian properties were typically built with local stone, as at the time transportation of heavy materials was difficult as there were no railways. The Georgian styled properties were designed with a great sense of symmetry. In detached Georgian houses, the front doors are placed in the centre with rooms either side, framed by multi paned sash windows. Many of these windows were surrounded with vertically hung Georgian clay tiles.
The Georgian design soon took off in other countries and can be clearly seen in the housing designs in Canada and the United States from the 19th century down to the 1950s, using pattern books drawn up by professional architects that were distributed by lumber companies and hardware stores to contractors and homebuilders.
The need for a good supply of Georgian roof tiles is required for many building projects, but when a Georgian terrace property such as those detailed above require roofing, many hundreds of thousands of Georgian roof tiles are required.
As we handmake our Georgian roof tiles here at Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd, we always keep a very healthy stock of these specialist roof tiles. A renovation project on a Georgian terraced property in the city would require so many Georgian roof tiles, so it would not make good business sense to run our stocks of these tiles too low.
Bramber Castle is a Norman motte and bailey castle formerly the caput of the large feudal barony of Bramber that was held by the Braose family. It is situated in the village of Bramber in West Sussex.
Reports seem to indicate that the Normans were the first to build a fortification in this West Sussex area in around 1070. It served as the administrative hub of the newly created Rape of Bramber, and controlled the River Adur estuary. The castle was held by William de Braose, 1st Lord of Bramber, whose family originated from Falaise.
Except for a short period when it was confiscated by King John, the West Sussex castle remained in the de Braose family, until the male line died out in 1326, and it passed to the Mowbrays. Bramber was one of the poorest parts of West Sussex, and while it remained a centre of administration, the Mowbrays did not live there and by the 1550s, the castle land was simply used for grazing.
During the First English Civil War, Bramber was held by a Parliamentary garrison, under James Temple. In December 1643, a skirmish took place nearby, when a Royalist force unsuccessfully tried to secure the bridge over the River Adur. However, it is unclear whether the castle itself was occupied, while there is no evidence to support a local myth its associated church was used as a gun position.
Unfortunately very little survives of the original historic structure, as much of the stone was later used to construct the bridge, and other buildings in the nearby village. The castle was excavated in 1966, with another minor survey in 1987; these indicate most of it was built between 1073 to 1130. The addition of an outer ditch around 1209 caused the collapse of much of the original curtain wall in the early 16th century.
The most prominent remaining feature of the West Sussex castle is the gatehouse tower, which still stands to almost its full height; a window, and floor joist holes are clearly visible. Beyond it are the foundations of what is believed to have been the living quarters and a guardhouse. The original gatehouse appears to have converted into a single tower at some point in the 12th century; another three metres were added to its height, while the entrances were blocked up. This increased height would appear to coincide with an increased threat of attack during the reign of King John.
The dressed pillars of an entrance can be identified, but the bulk of the remaining walls now consist of only the basic rough stone infill. Situated to the north of the gatehouse is the original castle motte, its earthen mound rising to a height of some 30 feet. A short distance away is a section of the curtain wall which survives to a height up to 10 foot in places.
Like most castles of their time, there is also a small church located next to the entrance; originally constructed for the castles inhabitants, it remains in use to this day to service the spiritual needs of the local population of this West Sussex location.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01634 471 344, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Home » Areas
t: 01634 471 344 | e: email@example.com
Disclaimer - Images used on this website are for illustration purposes only and the end product may vary in colour. Samples are available on request.
Copyright © 2018 Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd. All Rights Reserved.