The Classic range of plain tiles is one of the finest ranges of clay tiles available on the market today. At Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd, we source only the best raw materials for our craftsmen to create beautifully hand formed clay tiles of the highest quality and durability.
Beautifully textured and coloured redish brown clay roof tiles to give any property that classic finish. The Edwardian classic blend even has a fifty year guarantee for your added peace of mind.
The Edwardian era or Edwardian period of British history spanned the reign of King Edward VII, from 1901 to 1910, and is sometimes expanded to the start of the First World War. The death of Queen Victoria in January 1901 marked the end of the Victorian era. This would also be the last era of British history named for the reigning monarch. Her son and successor, Edward VII, was already the leader of a fashionable elite that set a style influenced by the art and fashions of continental Europe. The Edwardian era was described as a leisurely time when women wore picture hats and did not vote, when the rich were not ashamed to live conspicuously, and the sun really never set on the British flag.
As stated above, the Edwardian era was the last period of British history to be named after the reigning monarch. The subsequent reigns of George V and George VI are not commonly termed Georgian era, this name being reserved for the time of the 18th century kings of that name. Similarly, Elizabethan era refers solely to the 16th century queen Elizabeth I and is not extended to the current Queen, Elizabeth II.
The classic Edwardian blend clay roof tile offers the perfect marriage of style, functionality and durability. Your property will look amazing with this high quality hand formed clay roof tile.
The Royal Pavilion, also known as the Brighton Pavilion, is a Grade I listed former royal residence located in Brighton, East Sussex. Beginning in 1787, it was built in three stages as a seaside retreat for George, Prince of Wales, who became the Prince Regent in 1811, and King George IV in 1820. It is built in the Indo-Saracenic style prevalent in India for most of the 19th century. The current appearance of the Pavilion, with its domes and minarets, is the work of architect John Nash, who extended the building starting in 1815. George IVs successors William IV, and Victoria, also used the Pavilion, but Queen Victoria decided that Osborne House should be the royal seaside retreat, and the Pavilion was sold to the city of Brighton in 1850.
The Prince of Wales, who later became George IV, first visited Brighton in 1783, at the age of 21. The popular East Sussex seaside town had become fashionable as a result of the residence of Georges uncle, Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland, whose tastes for fine cuisine, gambling, the theatre, and general fast living the young prince shared, and with whom he lodged in Brighton at Grove House. In addition, the Prince of Wales was advised by his physician that the seawater and fresh air would be beneficial for his gout. In 1786, under a financial cloud with investigation by Parliament for the extravagances incurred in building Carlton House, London, the Prince rented a rather small, farmhouse facing the Old Steine, a grassy area of Brighton used as a promenade by visitors. Remote from the Royal Court in London, the Pavilion was a discreet location for the Prince to enjoy private liaisons with his long time companion, Maria Fitzherbert. The Prince had wished to marry her, and did so in secrecy as her Roman Catholic religion prohibited his marrying her under the Royal Marriages Act 1772.
In 1787, the Prince commissioned the designer of Carlton House, Henry Holland, to enlarge the existing building. It became one wing of the Marine Pavilion, flanking a central rotunda, which contained three main rooms: a breakfast room, dining room, and library, fitted out in Hollands French influenced neoclassical style, with decorative paintings by Biagio Rebecca. In 1801, the Pavilion was enlarged with a new dining room and conservatory, to designs of Peter Frederick Robinson, who worked in Hollands office. The Prince also purchased land surrounding the East Sussex property, on which a grand riding school and stables were built in an Indian style between 1803 and 1808. These provided stabling for sixty horses and dwarfed the Marine Pavilion.
Between 1815 and 1822, the designer John Nash redesigned and greatly extended the Pavilion, and it is his work that is still visible today. The palace is striking in the middle of the East Sussex town of Brighton, for its Indo-Islamic exterior is unique. The fanciful interior design, primarily by Frederick Crace and the little known decorative painter Robert Jones, was heavily influenced by both Chinese and Indian fashion. It is a prime example of the exoticism that was an alternative to more mainstream taste in the Regency style.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01634 471 344, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Home » Areas
t: 01634 471 344 | e: email@example.com
Disclaimer - Images used on this website are for illustration purposes only and the end product may vary in colour. Samples are available on request.
Copyright © 2018 Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd. All Rights Reserved.