At Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd we have very carefully crafted our Clayhall range of clay roof tiles to replicate all the features of genuine handmade clay tiles, the Clayhall hand crafted range of tiles offers a superb alternative roof tile when budget restrictions have to be considered, although the price will suit even a modest budget, we will not compromise on quality or durability with our excellent range of Clayhall roof tiles.
The Clayhall roof tiles range gives a wonderful choice of shades and colours to suit any property. With beautiful handcrafted quality and character, you really cannot go wrong with the Clayhall roof tiles range from Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd.
The Clayhall roof tile is manufactured to the dimensions of 265 x 165mm, with glorious shades and textures that will look amazing on any project. When you considerthe quality you get at this price point, it is little wonder that the Clayhall roof tile is a firm favourite with our customers up and down the country.
The start of the Norman Conquest was the Battle of Hastings, fought on 14 October 1066, although the battle itself took place eight miles to the north at Senlac Hill, and William the Conqueror had landed on the coast between Hastings and Eastbourne at Pevensey.
It is thought that the Norman encampment was on the towns outskirts, where there was open ground; a new town was already being built in the valley to the east. That New Burgh was founded in 1069 and is mentioned in the Domesday Book as such. William defeated and killed Harold Godwinson, the last Saxon King of England, and destroyed his army, thus opening England to the Norman conquest.
William had a castle built at Hastings probably using the earthworks of the existing Saxon castle that had stood in that part of East Sussex for many years already.
Hastings was shown as a borough of East Sussex by the time the Domesday Book of 1086 was compiled; it had also given its name to the Rape of Hastings, one of the six administrative divisions of Sussex. As a borough, Hastings had a corporation consisting of a bailiff, jurats, and commonalty. By a Charter of Elizabeth I in 1589, the bailiff was replaced by a mayor.
Muslim scholar Muhammad al-Idrisi, writing in 1153, described the East Sussex town of Hastings as a town of large extent and many inhabitants, flourishing and handsome, having markets, workpeople and rich merchants.
By the end of the Saxon period, the East Sussex port of Hastings had moved eastward near the present town centre in the Priory Stream valley, whose entrance was protected by the White Rock headland. It was to be a rather short stay as Danish attacks and huge floods in 1011 and 1014 caused the townspeople to relocate to the New Burgh.
In the Middle Ages, the East Sussex town of Hastings had become one of the Cinque Ports; Sandwich, Dover and New Romney being the first, Hastings and Hythe followed, all finally being joined by Rye and Winchelsea, at one point 42 towns were directly or indirectly affiliated with the group.
In the 13th century, much of the town and half of Hastings Castle was washed away in the South England flood of February 1287. During a naval campaign of 1339, and again in 1377, the town was raided and burnt by the French, and seems then to have gone into a decline. As a port, Hastings days were finished.
Hastings Castle is still a major draw for tourists to East Sussex to this very day. The temptation to visit is increased by the significant battle that once raged in this landmark East Sussex town.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01634 471 344, email us at email@example.com and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Home » Areas
t: 01634 471 344 | e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer - Images used on this website are for illustration purposes only and the end product may vary in colour. Samples are available on request.
Copyright © 2018 Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd. All Rights Reserved.