A handmade roof tile will typically cost up to fifty percent more than its machine-made counterpart but will in return offer more shape, texture and colour variation. The benefits of a handmade clay tile are all in the aesthetic and for period properties and those of character there really is no alternative.
The extra time taken to hand shape, press and detail our handmade roof tiles will clearly attract a higher price tag. However, more and more people seem to be moving away from mass produced produce in favour of handmade and traditional products.
The time it takes to craft a high quality handmade roof tile will naturally be longer than that of a tile that is produced by a highly automated and efficient machine. As good as these tiles can be and as uniform as they are in shape and size, nothing can compete with the aesthetic beauty, or even the slight irregular shape of a handmade roof tile.
Arts and crafts taken from a bygone era are seeing a revival; the solid fuel stove is coming back with a vengeance and the handmade roof tiles are often being chosen over the machine made variety, but why?
The reason is simple, people want the quality and aesthetic beauty of something that is different from the norm, a product that is designed and manufactured in a traditional way that exudes quality and heritage. Although the modern world has brought us speed and convenience in so many things, the old ways give us unrivalled quality and take us back to a time when speed and getting the cheapest option wasn't as important.
One only has to visit one's grandparents to see that they still use some things from before the war. This was when products were built to last and our handmade roof tiles are manufactured with the same professional care as they were back when there were no machines to do it.
So, if you want a totally unique product to make your home stand out from the rest, handmade roof tiles will be the choice to make.
Marlow in Buckinghamshire used to be called Great Marlow or Chipping Marlow. The town is a town in Buckinghamshire. It is located on the River Thames, only four miles south-southwest of High Wycombe.
The Buckinghamshire town's name is recorded in 1015 as Mere lafan, meaning "Land left after the draining of a pond" in Old English. Nobody seems to know how big the original pond was, but was more likely to have been a lake than a pond.
From Norman times the manor, parish, and later borough were formally known as Great Marlow, distinguishing them from Little Marlow. The ancient Buckinghamshire parish was large, including rural areas north and west of the town.
Marlow is recorded in the Domesday Book as Merlaue. The manor of Marlow in Buckinghamshire had also belonged to the Earls of Mercia, after it was gifted to them by William the Conqueror. Henry the First bestowed the Buckinghamshire town on his natural son, Robert de Melhent, afterwards Earl of Gloucester, from whom it passed, with that title, to the Clares and Despencers, and from the latter, by female heirs, to the Beauchamps and Nevilles, Earls of Warwick.
The Buckinghamshire town continued under crown ownership from the time of Richard III's marriage with Anne Neville, until Queen Mary granted it to William Lord Paget, in whose family it continued for more than a century; after which, it passed, by purchase, to Sir Humphrey Winch, in 1670; to Lord Falkland in 1686; to Sir James Etheridge in 1690; to Sir John Guise in 1718; and to Sir William Clayton in 1736. It is now the property of Sir William Clayton.
Like many other settlements, the Buckinghamshire town owed its importance to its location on the River Thames, where the road from Reading to High Wycombe crosses the river. It had its own market by 1227, although the market lapsed before 1600. Marlow's status as a regional commercial centre was present even before the first bridge in this area was built in the 13th century due to the settlement acting as an inland port.
A 14th century hall, known as 'The Old Parsonage' built in Marlow on St Peters Street is currently the oldest inhabited building in Buckinghamshire.
From 1301 to 1307, the Buckinghamshire town had its own Member of Parliament, and it returned two members from 1624 to 1867.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01634 471 344, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Home » Areas
t: 01634 471 344 | e: email@example.com
Disclaimer - Images used on this website are for illustration purposes only and the end product may vary in colour. Samples are available on request.
Copyright © 2018 Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd. All Rights Reserved.