The Clayhall roof tile range is one of those tile ranges that is suitable for a diverse selection of property styles and ages. You are not constrained by where these quality tiles can be used to great effect.
The Clayhall roof tile range is equally at home on a modern new build or an old period property. The quality of these tiles cannot be disputed and the durability is second to none.
Barn conversions will look amazing as the clean lines of stock modern machine made tiles can be rather unsympathetic to the age of the property. This is not an issue with the Clayhall roof tile, they look like they should be there. The texture and colour of the Clayhall roof tile is simply perfect for restoration projects.
Even a modern property will look fantastic with the Clayhall roof tile range. The beauty of these clay roof tiles really can suit any age or style of property. With the competitive pricing, it is little wonder that the Clayhall roof tile is sought after by so many roofers.
Prior to the Great Reform Act of 1832, Surrey returned fourteen Members of Parliament, two representing the county and two each from the six boroughs of Bletchingley, Gatton, Guildford, Haslemere, Reigate and Southwark. For two centuries before the Reform Act, the dominant political network in Surrey was that of the Onslows of Clandon Park, a gentry family established in the county from the early 17th century, who were raised to the peerage in 1716. Members of the family won at least one of two county seats in Surrey, all but three of the thirty general elections between 1628 and 1768, while they took one or both of the seats for their local borough of Guildford in every election from 1660 to 1830, usually representing the Whig Party after its emergence in the late 1670s. Successive heads of the family held the post of Lord Lieutenant of Surrey continuously from 1716 to 1814.
Until the modern era Surrey, apart from its northeastern corner, was quite sparsely populated in comparison with many other parts of southern England, and remained quite rustic despite its short distance to London. Communications began to improve, and the influence of London to increase, with the development of turnpike roads and a stagecoach system in the 18th century. A far more important transformation followed with the arrival of the railways, beginning by the end of the 1830s.
The availability of rapid transport enabled prosperous London workers to settle all across Surrey and travel daily to work in the capital. This phenomenon of commuting brought explosive growth to the Surrey population and wealth, and tied its economy and society closely to London.
There was rapid expansion in existing towns like Guildford, Farnham, and most spectacularly Croydon, while new towns such as Woking and Redhill emerged beside the railway lines. The huge numbers of incomers to the county and the transformation of rural, farming communities into a commuter belt contributed to a decline in the traditional local culture, including the gradual demise of the distinctive Surrey dialect. This may have survived among the Surrey men into the late 19th Century, but is now lost in time.
At this time London itself spread quickly across north eastern Surrey. In 1800 it extended only to Vauxhall; one hundred years later the growth had reached as far as Putney and Streatham. This expansion was reflected in the creation of the County of London in 1889, detaching the areas subsumed by the city from Surrey. The expansion of London continued in the 20th century, engulfing Croydon, Kingston and many smaller settlements. This led to a further contraction of Surrey in 1965 with the creation of Greater London, under the London Government Act 1963; however, Staines and Sunbury on Thames, previously in Middlesex, were transferred to Surrey, extending the county across the Thames. Surrey boundaries were altered again in 1974 when Gatwick Airport was transferred to West Sussex.
In 1849 Brookwood Cemetery was established near Woking to serve the population of London, connected to the capital by its own railway service. It soon developed into the largest burial ground in the world. Woking was also the site of Britains first ever crematorium, which opened in 1878, and its first mosque, founded in 1889. In 1881 Godalming became the first town in the world with a public electricity supply.
The eastern part of Surrey was transferred from the Diocese of Winchester to that of Rochester in 1877. In 1905 this area was separated to form a new Diocese of Southwark. The rest of the county, together with part of eastern Hampshire, was separated from Winchester in 1927 to become the Diocese of Guildford, whose cathedral was consecrated in 1961.
During the later 19th century Surrey became important in the development of architecture in Britain and the wider world. Its traditional building forms made a significant contribution to the revival architecture associated with the Arts and Crafts Movement, and would exert a lasting influence. The prominence of Surrey peaked in the 1890s, when it was the focus for globally important developments in domestic architecture, in particular work that was influenced by traditional styles and materials.
The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the demise of long lived Surrey industries that had been manufacturing paper and gunpowder. Most of the counties paper mills closed in the years after 1870, and the last survivor closed in 1928. Gunpowder production fell victim to the First World War, which brought about a huge expansion of the British munitions industry, followed by sharp contraction and consolidation when the war ended, leading to the closure of the Surrey powder mills.
New industrial developments included the establishment of the vehicle manufacturers Dennis Brothers in Guildford in 1895. Beginning as a maker of bicycles and then of cars, the firm soon shifted into the production of commercial and utility vehicles, becoming internationally important as a manufacturer of fire engines and buses, we still see Dennis on the front grill of fire engines to this very day. Though much reduced in size and despite multiple changes of ownership, this business continues to operate in Guildford. Kingston and nearby Ham became a centre of aircraft manufacturing, with the establishment in 1912 of the Sopwith Aviation Company and in 1920 of its successor H.G. Hawker Engineering, which later became Hawker Aviation and then Hawker Siddeley.
During the Second World War a section of the GHQ Stop Line, a system of pillboxes, gun emplacements, anti tank obstacles and other fortifications, was constructed along the North Downs. This line, running from Somerset to Yorkshire, was intended as the principal fixed defence of London and the industrial core of England against the threat of invasion. German invasion plans envisaged that the main thrust of their advance inland would cross the North Downs at the gap in the ridge formed by the Wey valley, thus colliding with the defence line around Guildford.
Between the wars Croydon Airport, opened in 1920, served as the main airport for London, but it was superseded after the Second World War by Heathrow, and closed in 1959. Gatwick Airport, where commercial flights began in 1933, expanded greatly in the 1950s and 1960s, but the area occupied by the airport was transferred from Surrey to West Sussex in 1974.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01708 853 953, email us at email@example.com and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Home » Areas
t: 01708 853 953 | e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer - Images used on this website are for illustration purposes only and the end product may vary in colour. Samples are available on request.
Copyright © 2018 Heritage Clay Tiles Ltd. All Rights Reserved.